Server security is indeed a topic with great consideration as any enterprise which has a server should do all that possible so that the server can be kept very secure. The whole process of securing the server can be daunting as it needs much expertise. It is not impossible but there is a necessity for good amount of knowledge for which you may need to invest so much of time. Here are the tips that can help you in implementing server security.
It is not advised to opt for default operating system installation and configuration. With default installation, many of the network services are installed which are not used by the server. There is no need to have them as the only thing that they do is to keep your server open for more access.
It is good to avoid remote access as much as possible. The truth is that many of the times we may be accessing the server through remote access. If you are doing remote server access, make sure that the remote connection made is kept secure with the help of tunneling and encryption protocols. Remote access should even be restricted so that only specific accounts or IPs should be able to do that.
Here are some of the things you should carry out, if you have an outgoing SMTP server, or if your business involves bulk mailing with mailer inbox.
- Own a static IP address
- Configure SPF
- Check blacklists
- Configure the forward and reverse DNS resolution
- Configure Domain keys, though it is optional.
Although the above-listed items may be unfamiliar, they are easy as indicated below.
Own a static IP address
Many internet providers cannot offer this to you as a default. You get assigned a dynamic IP address, which shifts any other time you get connected to the internet. If your connection is from a dynamic IP, your chances of getting blocked by many email servers are high. Therefore, you should call your IP provider, to request them to provide you with a static IP.
Configure the forward and reverse DNS resolution
Configuring forward and reverse DNS resolution is a must rule for any local outgoing mail SMTP server, to consider. DNS resolution happens if a customer requests a name server to get the IP address the server intends to start a connection. If your local domain name server cannot solve the client’s request, it requires the parent server to find any server can do so.
The servers can create an authentication form, which indicates the link between the domain owner and the IP address owner, which belongs to the email SMTP server. The validation adds more your trust score.
Phishers and spammers cannot penetrate the IP because they are not ready to reveal their identity to anyone. Mostly, they utilize stolen or hijacked IP addresses and domains. No single provider can accept to register domains without verification documents.
Forward and reverse DNS resolutions function with the aid of A and PTR records. Always remember to add the records to your DNS, as they are essential in executing DNS lookups. Besides, the records enable you to work openly on the internet. You can ask your domain registrar to add the files. Therefore, become reliable with spam filters and other servers.
A (BIN) Bank Identification Number is nothing but a card number in the world and its identifier, for example, debit cards and credit cards, and gift cards. The Bank Identification Number can let you know the name of the financial institution which issued the card, the sort of card like Credit or Debit, variety of card like Visa, MasterCard and card level like Gold, Electron and Classic. Bank Identification Number Checking can tell a user the name of the bank that issued the payment card.
The principal part of the Bank Identification Number recognizes the area of the bank that issued the card, while the last divide distinguishes the particular name of the bank. Credit Card Bank Identification numbers are the initial 6 digits of the number. The initial four to six digits on a Visa Card can be utilized to distinguish the Issuing Bank that issued the card.
Since each card is connected with a bank, if you check BIN you’ll get extra information regarding the card as well as the bank stored in the database. This permits any trader doing a card based exchange to check more about the exchange other than simply guaranteeing that the right stick has been given. This gives the dealer included security and various advantages. The advantages are listed below.
- Initially – it gives them an additional level of assurance against misrepresentation and reversals of installments. Banks permit merchants a pre-defined number of reversals and extortion before ceasing their plastic cash benefits. Additionally every card chargeback costs the merchant some cash.
- Secondly – it allows a nearer observing of the business procedure and better client knowledge. Where is this client from? Where is he sending the merchandise to? Utilizing these subtle elements you can benefit your clients better.
To decrease the danger of Visa card or Master card frauds, different methods are utilized to avoid the circulation of BINs:
- Safeguarding encryption: In the Format-safeguarding encryption technique, the number is encoded with a variant which holds the arrangement of information, for example, some digits. This makes the protection of data at high level without IT frameworks and applications. A typical use is for safeguarding the payment card information from the purpose of catch in a safe slient to checkout in order to mitigate the risk of information trade off in frameworks.
- PAN truncation: In the PAN truncation technique, just a few digits of card are shown or imprinted.
- Tokenization: Tokenization is a technique in which an artificial record number (token) is printed, stored and transmitted instead of the actual account number.